Tuesday, January 20, 2009

20/365



Ridiculously poor quality picture - I don't care. There would be no other photograph to highlight today other than the swearing in of President Barack Obama. It is an important day in our country. Whether you voted for him or not, support him and pray for him.

Several months ago Gustavo heard me say the name Barack Obama. He blurted out "Barack Obama, I know him! He is brown just like me!" The fact that Barack Obama's skin looks brown just like his has Gustavo interested in learning about the man. Just the other day we had a discussion centering around the fact that just because your skin is brown doesn't necessarily mean you were born in Guatemala. Here is a photo of my brown-skinned Guatemalan-American son leaving for kindergarten today after enjoying lunch while watching Barack Obama become the 44th President of the United States. He had no idea of the history he was witnessing. Someday I'll be able to tell him that he sat and ate his lunch before leaving for school while the first black President took office. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment